Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I've Been Bitten by the Bug

The organizing bug that is. 
Somehow come the New Year and everyone and their mothers have organizing on their minds.
The thought of a fresh start coupled with the desire to start the year right means throwing those doors (bedroom doors, cupboard doors, garage doors & your junk door drawer) wide open and sorting, tossing, recycling & purging everything you find and then putting it all back in a prettier, neater fashion. 

Thanks to Megan at Honey We're Home who has started 2011 off with an organizing series
Getting Organized 2011
I'm now completely incapable of thinking or doing anything but. 

What I would like the rooms in my house to look like: 




and what they actually look like...
the Black Hole
for those of you who don't get my humor that's a picture of the black hole in space to signify what my house looks like :)

So in the next few weeks I'll be going through various parts of the house and purging. YAY!! I can't wait!
Does the word 'purging' do it for anyone else? Just wondering... 

I am also going to focus on some areas that have always been hard for me.
Items or places that I can never quite seem to come up with a system for.
I call these.....

trouble spots! 
Such as....

  • Shoes
  • Jewelry
  • scarves
  • kitchen appliances (bread machine, food processor, pots & pans)
  • winter clothing (bulky jackets, sweaters, boots) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------


I  think I'm going to tackle my closet first. 

Here's the 'to do' list I made for myself: 
  1. Make bed
  2. Do all laundry - after, clean clothing goes on bed
  3. Take everything out of closet and & place on bed 
  4. Sort through clothing; old, doesn't fit (no hope for it), stained, ruined beyond repair, don't like anymore, haven't worn in centuries = donate or get rid of
  5. Any clothing for a different season or specialized clothing (ie; spring, summer, maternity wear) pack away. 
  6. Anything that isn't clothing - needs to be sorted
  7. Get rid of mismatched hangers, have one style for entire closet
  8. Put everything back in closet according to how often you need it
  9. After everything is put back GO SHOPPING because you probably have no clothing left & now that your closet is looking so organized you're inspired again :) 
I have enough to fill one afternoon so I'll leave you with some of my favorite closet organizing tools/items....

Slimline Hangers
Real Simple Slimline Hangers with Built-in Hooks (Set of 50) - Blue
Bed Bath & Beyond
Maize Cube
The Container Store
Fabric Drawers
Product Image ClosetMaid Fabric Drawers 2-pk. - Green
Target
Sterilite 70qt Storage Box
Product Image Sterilite 70-qt. Ultra Latch Storage Box - Set of 4
Target
I'm off to start, wish me luck......

10 comments:

  1. I am inspired to organize too, only problem is finding the time. My son only naps for so long. Ah, if only my closets looked like those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Good luck! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    http://stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black hole creeps up here every now and again, too!!!! I finally put my foot down with my freezer. Everything went in and nothing came out! Loving Megan's series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to PURGE in a big way! thecoolkidsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some organizing to do too! Purging feels so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck!! nothing feels better than hauling black bags out to the car for a goodwill run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG good luck! I love purging myself, but it's SO HARD! I tend to hold onto things too long.....also you are so sweet as to the comments on my blog. thanks for finding me, I'm glad you did because I love your blog too. Fabulous, I'm definitely following....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the pictures - now I'm feeling the bug! Shoes are the hardest part....

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got the bug too?? :) That second picture of the pantry is like my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Organizing is my resolution... Spent the day trying to fix up my closet! Love the post :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! I enjoy reading & responding to every comment!

Pin It button on image hover